Pages

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Call for Plaster Art

Time to let the cat completely out of the bag. I'm very busy right now getting the first stages completed in the book writing process. Stephanie Lee and I are co-authoring a book on the use of plaster in art and we are both up to our necks in plaster projects, writing and organizing images for the gallery section of the book. To that end, I know a lot of my readers are artists who have worked in a variety of materials and that many of you have plaster projects you have done that you'd love to share with the whole world.


To have your work considered for inclusion in the gallery section of the book, we ask that you send us a high quality jpg file sized 300 dpi at 8x10" (ideally) or 5x7" at least for our consideration. We hope to have all the files assembled by December 15th and then follow up with a release form and photo credit shortly after that. We are really excited to get a book out on plaster and mixed media because no one has done one yet and we love plaster for so many reasons.


Think casting, sculpting, painting on a plaster substrate (or joint compound) and the like. The book is scheduled to debut early 2011 and it's going to be wonderful.

On other fronts I am getting more familiar with my new iMac, my new printer and PhotoShop. I've not put Elements on this computer because I know I will fall back on that for speed if I have it and I want to make the full transition now. Everything goes slowly at first as anyone knows who has looked at all the tools in PhotoShop for the first time. It's overwhelming.

We had our first killing frost here last night so the yerba santa is drooping sadly outside my bathroom window. I will miss seeing those verdant boughs first thing each morning - I see winter is officially here, even if the calendar says we have a few weeks to go. Snow in Houston? And possibly here by tomorrow? Brrr, time to get out the woolies.

Haven't painted in the wee book except for this one face. And today I'll be mixing plaster for the next project. Music, garlicky food, wine at night, sun shining through the big windows in my studio, fragrant face creams, putting on my apron to work in the studio. These are the things that make me very happy today. That and finally posting to my blog. I have big plans for the future. More sharing with you here; more blog tutorials and inspiration, lots of reaching out. I love feeling connected after so much time to ponder and work in solitude. I need both. How about you?

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you again! I really miss your posts... alas, I am no help on the plaster side of things. Never tried it ... but if you are writing a book it will probably be my next endeavor!tba

Unknown said...

OMG, plaster...My daughter talked to my forever ago about how I should try doing something on plaster! But then I got off to what I am knee deep in now, and totally forgot about it.

And I'm still futzing around with my new mac and forever learning Photoshop! Luckily, you seem to have a sensible head that retains things...that's what you need for this stuff.

Best of luck on the book. Hmmm plaster....I wonder if I can..

Ocean Lotus said...

i'm excited to see the book, the tutorials, more posts...

Lynn Cohen said...

I continue to mavel at all your endeavors, congrats on the book! and oggling your journal pages!

Keli McKinley Hansen said...

the best news! the two of you doing a book...squeel... the best! it will be completely amazing!

hip hip hurrah!

Unknown said...

really like your jpurnal page

Donna Heart said...

absolutely! solitude and community - they each are more beautiful because of the prescence of the other - i need both - crave both! oh how i wish i was battoning down the hatches and getting winter woolies out now you lucky thing! gearing up for temps in the high 30's (celcius here!) thanks so much for all the inspiration - i love it!!!
x donna

femminismo said...

Excited to hear about everything! Was Nov. 21 the turning point of writing a book? Joint compound? That sounds interesting! Best to you on your new projects. - J.

Unknown said...

I love your work and cant wait to see your new book. I am also a fan of Stephanie Lee. Congrats to both of you.

Jessica said...

How exciting! What a great pairing and subject for a book, I can't wait to see what you two come up with!

Jennifer White said...

Judy, I have to admit.. you wrote that you're up to your necks in plaster, and of course the image of you in a body cast is what I thought of...I laughed out loud as I'm sitting here enjoying breakfast @ the Hilton Garden in Kentucky...about 400 miles until home and now I'll have something to laugh about...congrats on the book deal, cannot wait to hear more about it.

xo

Ro Bruhn said...

This is wonderful news Judy, congratulations, can't wait to see the book.

Meri said...

Is there anything you can't do, amazing woman?

Yolanda said...

So good to see a post from you today Judy. I look every day. I am taking Stephanie's class on journaling and I think its wonderful that you are both collaborating on this book. It should be wonderful. Yes, I totally understand how after the solitude of endeavoring in your creativity one does need to connect again with others. I'm so glad you've done just that..!!!

Clare Wassermann said...

looking forward to the blog and books. Keep on reaching out!

Sherry Goodloe said...

Great news! Glad to see you back here in blogland too *smiles*

Leslie said...

I'm so excited about your collaboration with Stephanie on this plaster book! How will we wait until 2011? It sounds like you have a few things in mind to keep us busy until then. Yippee!

Kim Mailhot said...

I need both too ! I just spent Saturday with some sweet, sweet friends from Squam (5 out of 6 of who were in your classes there with me !) having a Big Hearts Walking Play Date. So very, very good for the soul to be with artist/seeker friends who support one another so well and who share their own hearts so deeply ! It gave me such a boost that now I am dying to get into the studio and play, play play on my own, buoyed by the inspiration and the full heart I got from my time with them !
We talked about you often and in a way, you inspired me to bring them together in that judgement free play zone that was very like what you create in your classes.
Life is so very very good, isn't it, beautiful, beautiful Judy ?(Think of pink unicorns flying out of butts here. ;) So glad you are living it so very well.
Big, big love !

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Judy: you rock!

p.s. love love love the ending of this post

aimee said...

hi, judy - glad to see you back, and what terrific news to deliver upon re-entry! i can't wait to see this plaster collaboration and i'd love to see a book on your journal pages too.

p.s. i just got back from my first trip to your corner of the country. i was totally smitten with it - if i lived there i'd never want to leave.

Jill Berry said...

That is a big cat! Exciting news and I look forward to the book.

Alessandra Cave said...

How generous of you to offer up a feature in the book! Had some time with KR this weekend and she inspired me to come searching for you... And here you are, full of surprises, colors, projects! I'm inspired already. The book sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see it! xo

Diana said...

How exciting, Judy! What a dynamic duo you and Stephanie make. I look forward to your book!
Ta TA
Diana

Lorrie Grainger Abdo said...

Hi Judy,

I was having trouble getting to your website for the last 48 hours (my system or the server, who knows?) to get your contact information, so I sent you a "proposal" and pictures for the call for plaster art to the email address listed on FB. I hope you've gotten it. If not, will you please let me know? I would love to be included in the gallery section. I am a handmade paper artist. I incorporate plaster and handmade paper in pieces done on canvas.

As always, love to hear what you are up to.

Isabel said...

Congratulations on your new venture and I look forward to enjoying the end result.

Enjoy all the way!

And so it goes... said...

I just sent my "Call for Plaster" submission... Hopefully not too, too late! I usually think about submitting, but never have, so thanks for the inspiration to actually do it! Getting to know you (& adore you! Don't worry, I'm not a stalker!)at Valley Ridge made this submission top priority on my "art list". Chosen or not, it's been beyond fun just participating! xoxoxo deb/debbie/debra

Jodi Ohl said...

Hi Judy, not sure if it's too late to submit to your gallery--I do a lot of work with molding paste, not sure if that would work with your book or not, but if so--I couldn't find your email. I do have a couple of pieces that may be of interest to you. :)

jodi

johl3@windstream.net