Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Encaustic Days 7-8-9


Tonight I'm tired. I've been underwater in the land of no time as I've lost myself in the wax. It's cold in my studio with the exhaust fan on all the time and winter really here now. I'm bitten good.


If you work in colored wax yourself you know that each color breaks differently under the heat and that you will not fully control everything that happens. You just work toward an idea with an open mind.


At least that's how it's been for me. Each of these pieces started out in an entirely different direction than how they ended. The wax is deep and covers the past as though it never existed. Well, not entirely.


It can look hard, pillowy, glassy or matte. Transparent or opaque. It is immediate gratification.


I love color and most of my work is extremely colorful but for some reason (because it's winter?) I just want white in these. Ivory, gray, flecks of color but mostly neutral whites.


Each day I think I won't have the energy to do so much again but I am getting up earlier and staying up later to do this work. It is the best feeling in the world. When the muse favors you and brings you faith in yourself. 

12 comments:

Pamela Holderman said...

Those are gorgeous! Good enough to eat. The white is so wintery and the holes bubbling up through it remind me of Abba Zabbas. Happy New Year to you!

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Glad to hear you're back in your studio creating. Love the textures in your work and can't wait to see how you do it. Happy New Year! Paula

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Judy.... please sign up Ms. Ovineri and I up for a class of encasustics ASAP please... Love, the ones who love and admire you! (and don't think we are jokin' here)

Lynn Cohen said...

White and wintry, cold but warm in love that went into making these. I feel it. I Love the texture so much. Enjoy my friend, and happy New Year! May all your dreams come true! Thank you for your blog/friendship support this past year too.♥

Gwen said...

I love all of these pieces, even the ones you don't like. The texture is amazing and really speaks to me. I love the hiddenness of the texture, that probably isn't a word, but I think that you will know what I mean.

Catherine Denton said...

Love this! You are always inspiring!!

Jennifer White said...

These are some pretty amazing pieces, Judy.. love the posts this past week. Happy New Year to you... xo

Anonymous said...

I have been fascinated watching these pieces come from the studio these last days. So incredible and different. Wow, just amazing play and creation. Happy New Year and may 2011 bring you much joy. xox Corrine

Kim Rae Nugent said...

Happy New Year Judy! I don't comment much, but I visit your blog often. Its a great place to go for a pick-me-up. Thanks for sharing your warmth, beauty and sense of humor!
Hugs,
Kim

Maria said...

Very interesting technique! I love the effects. Do you remove any of the wax or let it stay the way it is? I guess it's a choice. Love the wintery effect!

Steve Gravano said...

wow. you have some beautiful work.

eb said...

dear Judy,
sending you some love tucked in here
as I scroll - I too am loving the shades of white - so quiet now - the waning full moon rising - my Boone at the Winter Ball - just thinking of you and your kindness - love it all - the white on white - blue shadows here and tall icicle sculptures...

xox - eb.