Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

The Wax Bug


Christmas Day with the family. It was cozy, magical, a day filled with lots of fancy food and my good people. 


John pointed out that if the lights are low enough we don't look bad. He's a corker.


Our first-born girl. She's the image of her grandpa and grandma Newton. My but I'm proud of her.


Our baby girl Steff. Who hosted the family this year and who is the spirit of all goodness and kindness. We're kind of proud of her too.


The tall and handsome mystery man grandson. Another Newton look-alike. He is smart, thoughtful, talented and kind. *sigh* Everything I could ask for and the apple of grandma's eye. The arrow sent out from my bow.


This is a spread prepared for the written journal page. It's a painting in itself. I love making the pages ahead of time and then watching them evolve with words and images.


The recent wax classes have me bitten again by the wax bug; this time really hard. So I got into the studio and fiddled around. The image above just shows a bunch of colors blown randomly around by the torch. I just wanted to watch the wax move.


I grabbed a bit of collage and turned the board into this. It's not exciting to me because I just did stuff I already knew about so in the next one I pushed myself into newer territory.


This is the next board at a stage that had interesting parts but didn't feel finished. I was working intuitively here and while it reminded me of space phenomena it didn't satisfy me. So I kept going and arrived at the next shot.


Now I like it. The writing says, "Touch Me, Don't Touch Me." 

Abstraction is something I'm still learning about and that I want to do more of. This one I like because I can feel it. That charge of energy when two beings touch. 


Here's a close up of the wax. My challenge to myself is to complete at least one wax painting a day for the next month. We'll see if I can keep to that pace. Now it's time to get TUIT.

10 comments:

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Judy, I really love the Buddha. I love the way the light is swirling around him and the spirit is whafting above. It's like he's arising from the ashes. Beautiful and mystical.

Jill said...

lovely warm family photos. Looking forward to you waxing and not waning in your challenge (sorry about that)

Joy Logan said...

Nice family and wonderful pages!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Looks like you had a wonderful gathering with the most important people in your life. Hurrah!

Love the new spark of wax light. Isn't it amazing how these things propel us into other worlds?

All joys to you and yours,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Lynn Cohen said...

Tell your dear husband that you look beautiful in any light! So there!
And your children are beautiful reflections of your combined beauty.
As is that handsome grandson!!!!
Love the art...fun seeing you diving into something new! Exciting.

Marit said...

I want to thank you Judy, for bringing me such joy and inspiration over the last year! I'm so glad I found your blog! You and your family looks great - your grandson looks a bit like my son. I wish you a warm and healthy new year!!!

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

INCREDIBLY MOVING work! your family too!

bj Lantz said...

Cool stuff, Sistah. I got a block of wax for Xmas, LOL

Seth said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time. And that wax looks like a lot of fun too.

Parabolic Muse said...

These are stunning. That Buddha slays me. (figuratively...) Love the photos of you and your babies, too.