Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Paint Oaxaca Part 1


Kathie Vezzani. I have to start with her. Oh, man, if she is leading your group you are going to be well cared for. The best restaurants, calm demeanor, planner of surprises and knower of what is fun and memorable in your travels and art making. Just wow. Here she is looking out over the Botannical Garden from the Santo Domingo convent.


Here is our magnificent group of travelers. Artists. Jokesters. Twittering angels. What a compatible bunch we were. I'm smiling here at each face, remembering.


It was colorful. Fiestas around each corner.


Lots of green jungley foliage in the courtyard and the city during the rainy season.


A lovely welcome party to greet us.


Esquites, ceviche, tostadas, tamales, plantain fritters, mezcal margaritas. Ehole!!


The wonder of Monte Alban.


The lovely Indio children. So proud of their culture. Their gentle spirits are part of what makes Oaxaca unique.


The first day we eased into our painting classes with some sketching and walking around our neighborhood. Just getting into the slower and less demanding rhythm of our surroundings.


We sketched the outside of this church: Santo Domingo. Everything that looks like gold is gold. 


Michele Unger took this photograph of Kathy, Katie, and myself having a sit down in the Painters' Museum. 


Beautiful architecture and history everywhere you look.


This is how my Sopa de Guia was served. The ingredients here are squash blossom, string cheese, pumpkin seeds and chapulines. Then the waiter comes with a pitcher of hot squash broth that he pours over it. It looks like cream but I think it is liquified squash and some herbs. Delicious!


Our group walking home under the harvest moon on the safe and easy to navigate streets.


I'll add chapters all this week. I still haven't unpacked. In the meantime, consider seeing Mexico City with Kathie, Katie and myself this coming March. We will do everything in our power to make Mexico City a beautiful adventure as well.


I painted 3 abstracts before I left that I didn't have time to post.






And I came home to ripe melons!


More tomatoes.


Luscious kale.




Can it really be September 16th already?


Tomorrow we have a Birthday to celebrate but I'll try to have the next installment ready to post. 

Sending love and prayers to all.

9 comments:

kim beller said...

beautiful you….beautiful life.
missing you! the garden….wow to john!!
xoxo

Michele R. Unger said...

Oh, Judy, what a spectacular post about our magical time in Oaxaca! If I didn't have a pile of filthy laundry, a half unpacked suitcase and a memory card full of photos I might think it had all been a dream. Thank you for EVERYTHING! XO

dorylyn said...

Oh Judy, thank you for making this trip so wonderful! You are just like you write and paint - beautiful. I am so grateful I was able to share your energy, hug you each morning, and watch you create art magically for 9 days in Oaxaca. What a fabulous memory I have to share!

Clare Wassermann said...

The whole shebang is a total feast for the eyes xx

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

'LOVE all the photos...Especially the sky in one photo! So INSPIRING!

Seth said...

What a special adventure this must have been Judy.!!

Kathie Vezzani said...

Oh Ms. Judy. Thank you for such a wonderful post. You truly captured the magic of our trip and I can't wait to see the next installments. And, oh, taking care of you was my absolute pleasure. Love you.

pollywog said...

Continuing to droooooooool. Thank you for sharing a little piece (and more pieces to come) of this fabulous art/food/love journey. ~Paula

Parabolic Muse said...

Hi, Sweetie! It is such a pleasure to see these, and you are so generous to take your time sharing them with us. This is the BEST diary of a trip. That harvest moon photo is incredibly delicious.

I love following you on IG, too.

smooches and hugs!
Chrissy